Sunday, April 17, 2011

French Onion Soup

Probably, you have noticed a trend with my blog entries; I’m backlogged with food, from my pantry to my freezer, and I don’t like throwing anything away. I’ve made a roast twice this year, and I’ve freeze the cooking liquid with the thought that I’d use it as beef broth.

With the weather changing, comfort food recipes will be put away, but with a cool day like today, I decided to make French Onion Soup.  It's a great soup that's usually in everyone's "top five" soups.  Here's my recipe:

1 large yellow onion
4 sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp unsalted butter
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp flour
½ cup red wine
2 cups beef stocks
2 cups water
sliced Italian bread, toasted
1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
½ cup mozzarella cheese

Cut onion in half, and then with each half, slice onion thin.  Melt butter and add sliced onions, thyme, bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste.


Cook over low heat for 25 mins, occasionally stirring.  Add 1 tsp flour and cook for 2 mins. Add wine to deglaze the pan and cook for 2 mins. 

 
Add beef stock and water and cook for ½ hour until favors meld together. 


Pour into ovenproof casserole pot. Place toasted bread on top and add cheese. 


Place in broiler for 3 mins until cheese melts. 


This made soup for four. This was a great recipe for my first time making onion soup, and though a little time consuming, the soup was worth it. Note, the original stock I made had carrots and mushrooms, but your stock doesn't need to have these ingredients. Also, I used red wine because that's what I had opened, but white is good to use too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment