Thursday, February 20, 2014

Kohlrabi – coal-rob-ee



Another farmer’s market find was kohlrabi. I had heard about this vegetable on cooking shows, but never really knew what it was. I asked the vendor, and he described it as a radish-like vegetable. When I quipped, "Is it sharp?" He responded, "Well, no ... well yes, but more so sweet like an apple." I then asked, "How do you cook it?"  and he told me I could prepare it roast, but really, he liked eating it raw.

When I returned home, I googled kohlrabi; I found this! 

Does this come from outer space or PA farm country??

I immediately questioned, "Did he know what he was selling me?! Is this it?!" I quickly read that there are two varieties, green and purple, and they are usually shaved down when sold. Though kohlrabi looks like a root vegetable, it’s more related to cabbages and kale then carrots and turnips.

I peeled the vegetable and tried a wedge. Not too sharp and tasted like an overly starchy apple, and it was slightly sweet. I thought instantly to make a kohlrabi slaw. 

Ingredients:
- Two kohlrabi "bulbs"
- Two beets
- 1 endive
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Shred kohlrabi and beets. 
Look at those colors! 

Cut endive. Mix olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Combine dressing with vegetables. 

Enjoy!!






No comments:

Post a Comment