Monday, April 11, 2011

Cleaning out my closet (and fridge!)


My recent goal is to get rid of (eat) all the pasta I have stored in my pantry (closet).  Whenever I visit home, my mom sends me back to Philly with at least one box of pasta, and I’ve finally had to say, “Enough!” 

You can see it’s exploding out the door.  I really don’t prepare pasta as much as I’d like.  Not that it’s difficult to make, but I never really think of cooking pasta, and then surprise, a billion boxes that never leave the pantry. 

A quick dish I made for myself is pasta with roasted vegetables.  On Thursday, I roasted 1 eggplant, 1 ½ cups of cherry tomatoes, and two handfuls of string beans diced with some olive oil (to coat the pan) and 2 garlic cloves for a side dish.  Because I knew I wouldn’t have time to prep the food over the weekend, and I didn’t want the veggies to spoil, I cooked them and stored them away. Now Monday, my side dish has become part of my main dish for tonight’s dinner plans.

I really like spaghetti, but for a long time I never knew how much to make for myself or even for two.  I heard on TV that the diameter a quarter is a good indicator of how much pasta to make for one serving size, and since then, it has been so much easier.  I boiled pasta until it was al dente (check your box for approximate times) and heated up my veggies.  I took out the pasta and sauted it with the vegetables, so the pasta could pick up the flavors.   Last, grated some Parmigiano-Reggiano, and there’s dinner for one!


No comments:

Post a Comment