Monday, December 19, 2011

cleaning out my freezer!

So being that I've had this thought for sometime now, I've been in the process of cleaning out my freezer, and boy did I have some winners - like Christmas cookies from last year!

Here's a picture of my freezer about two weeks ago.



Stuff to capacity! Here is the door...


Now, many of you might be wondering about the dreaded freezer burn. As long as you store your food in airtight packages, your food should be safe. The problem with freezer burn is that if you do not store your food in airtight containers, the moisture within the food will freeze, leaving ice crystals behind and your food (especially meats) becoming dehydrated and "burned", thus freezer burned. Also, because water leaves your food, then it is possible for oxygen to seep in, and by doing so, the flavor and/or color of your food can change. Food that has freezer burn is safe to eat, but it might have a different taste or flavor than a normally fresh piece of food (like a steak) would have.


I've made several attempts to remove items to have a clean fridge by the new years. My first recipe: Manhattan Clam Chowder.

No comments:

Post a Comment