Monday, December 19, 2011

Manhattan Clam Chowder

When we were in Cape May, we ordered softshell crabs to-go from the famous Lobster House. With the remaining legs and shell, I made a crab stock. I had seen that recipes call for fish stock, and I after a few google searches (http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Lobster-Broth),  I assumed that if you seeped the shells, it would yield a broth outcome, and it did. I just never knew what I wanted to do with fish broth. 

Until last week, my fish stock tupperware inhabited my freezer!  I decided to make Manhattan Clam Chowder. I even tried to replicate the Lobster House recipe, since I kept the lid and the ingredients were listed, so I decided to give it a whirl!

In my clam chowder (made 4 servings), I used the following
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 hand fulls of fingerling potatoes
- 2 cans of minced clams
- 4 cups of crab stock
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 slices of Bacon diced

First, dice the bacon and cook until the fat is rendered. Use a medium heat, but if the bacon starts to burn, lower the heat.


As the bacon is cooking, dice the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. 

Next, remove the bacon from the pot, and keep it aside. Sauté the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in the bacon fat. Add spices. Cook for 5-7 mins at medium heat. 


Add potatoes and continue to cook for additional 5-7 mins. 


Add fish broth, water, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 mins. Add the clams and bacon. Continue to cook for 15 mins.


Serve and enjoy!!! 





1 comment: