Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Sunday's dinner

Continuing the theme of cleaning out my freezer, Sunday night, I made tortellini with peas and roasted lemon chicken with a side or Trader Joe's cauliflower and romanesco  (http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=224) . (minus 3 1/2 from my freezer!!)


Romanesco belongs to the broccoli-cauliflower family, and if you can determine from the vegetable's name, it's from the Rome region of Italy. You can pretty much prepare it as you would broccoli or cauliflower: steamed, boiled, sautéed etc. TJ's has it in the freezer section, and it's served in a butter sauce. The bag gives directions to microwave its contents, but I think it would have been better roasted. If you see this vegetable, definitely give it a try. It's also pretty cool looking! 


As for my tortellini with peas, here's my recipe: 
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 4 small garlic cloves, diced
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 box tortellini
salt and pepper
  
Sauté onion and garlic for 5 mins in olive oil. Add tomato paste and combine. Add green peas and continue to cook until peas are tender. 

In the meantime, boil water to cook tortellini and follow cooking time according to package. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water. When the pasta is almost completely cooked, combine with onions and peas and add pasta water to combine ingredients. 

Serve and enjoy!

To make the chicken, I thawed two chicken breasts, and I seasoned the meat with salt, pepper, and oregano. 


Cook at 400F for 45 mins (Note, my oven temp may be different than yours, so if clear liquids come from the chicken or if you have a thermometer, then it's ready!) Add juice from one lemon. 


Here, I have it served with Trader Joe's cauliflower and romanesco


I add lemon last to intensify the lemon flavor, and it's a nice bright surprise on a cold night!

1 comment: